In Sri Lanka customer facing business processes in Banking, Finance, Insurance, Government and Education rely on primarily on printed application forms to capture required customer and supplementary information. Although Sri Lanka has had the legal framework to support Electronic Transactions, the low level of Information Technology (IT) Literacy in the rural cities and villages have slowed down the adoption of online customer and supplementary information gathering.
In the Banking, Finance and Insurance Sectors where competition is high, organisations have employed large team of marketing personnel with various designations to visit customers to introduce the services offered by their respective organisations. These personnel guide and help customers to fill the required multi-page forms accurately to the extent that some just ask for the Customer to sign the respective forms after filling the form in the presence of the customer.
Transferring the information from a multi-page form to Core Banking, Financial or Insurance systems take time and often require dedicated personnel to speed up the data entry process. Once the data is entered employee are required to validate the information with the provided supporting document such as the National Identity Card (NIC), Utility Bills, Payslips, medical reports, etc.
The deployment of Data Capture Solutions with Optical Character Recognition (OCR) and Intelligent Character Recognition (ICR) or Handwritten Recognition can significantly increase the accuracy and speed of data entry and validation of supporting documents. However, the lack of support for Local Languages (Sinhala and Tamil) is perceived by many organisations as a hindrance for the adoption of Data Capture Solutions to increase the efficiency of business processes.
However, this is not the case and current Data Capture Solutions available in the market can be deployed successfully without native language OCR or ICR support due to the following reasons.
- All business systems are in English and information in native languages are keyed into these systems in English.
- Only 20% to 40% (Depending on the Form Type) of the Native Language Information that need to be entered into systems are actually in Text Format all other information is represented as Numbers, Check Marks and Signatures.
- Numbers and Check Marks can be recognised with Current Technology and Signatures can be extracted as Images to be passed on to the specialised Signature Verification Software.
- English Language OCR accuracy is above 99%, ICR accuracy is above 90% and check marks or Optical Mark Recognition (OMR) is at near 100% resulting a highly accurate data extraction.
- Considering the fact that a representative of the Organisation actually helps Fill the form the forms can be redesigned to capture critical native language text information in English and this can be filled in by the organisations representative.
- Data Capture Systems can extract information from printed supporting documents and can automatically use the information to verify form Data Such as NIC numbers, Salary Details, Addresses, etc.
- Hardware independent and works from the small desktop scanners to large scale industrial scanners.
Automation of the data entry and validation with Data Capture Solutions allows faster processing of customer requests with a high efficiency and effectiveness. With this adoption of Data Capture Technology to automate business processes organisations gain the following advantages
- Faster turnaround of Customer request
- Increased Capacity without increasing team sizes.
- Reduction of overtime and overheads
- Faster Calculation of KPI / Targets of marketing teams
- Better compliance with Privacy and Organisation Information Security requirements
- Better Compliance with Regulatory Requirements.
- Faster Reporting for MIS Requirements
- Automated Graphical Location Lookup (with Google Maps) using Address information.
With the use of internationally reputed data capture solutions such as ABBYY FlexiCapture, organisation can extract information from complex documents to support the automation of any type of document driven business process. In addition to very high accuracy rates for OCR, ICR, OMR, ABBYY FlexiCapture supports the following to support a wide range of business requirements.
- Recognise Barcodes and QR codes
- Support for data anonymization with distributed processing and redaction
- Support for double verification of predefined data fields.
- Business rule definition inclusive of chained business rules
- Validate document data with existing databases
- Automated document classification and assembly
- Cross document validation during processing
- Quality control workflow support
- Monitor workload and performance from a centralised monitoring console
- Support for Sinhala and Tamil data entry with Unicode compliant fonts
- Localised dictionary support for Sri Lankan Personnel Names, Company Names, Addresses, Postal Codes, Cities, Grama Niladari Divisions and District Sectary Divisions.
- Localisation and customisation support
- Export Support to any ODBC compliant database, SharePoint, CSV, Excel, XML, PDF, PDF/A
- Export to any ERP, CRM, BPM solution.
- Export to CMIS compliant Document Management Solutions via CMIS connector
- Connect to any API to pull or Push data.
- Local Implementation and Support by ABBYY Certified Resources.
If your Interested in learning how ABBYY FlexiCapture can power yours or your client’s business process, please contact us via email@example.com or on 0777793700 to schedule discussion and demonstration.